Watch Microbrand meets Kickstarter
The Karibu Watch Vision: Kickstarter Campaign
When you think of Wales, often, the first thing that comes to mind is rolling green hills that are full of sheep. While this is true, what many people don’t know is that Wales it quite the epic location if you’re looking for adventure!
Full of stunning landscapes stretching right from the north to the south, this compact but geologically diverse country is an outdoor enthusiast’s paradise. In the north, you’ll find snow-capped peaks in national parks, which boast challenging glacial landforms, and hiking trails, while in the south, you’ll discover the wild coastline line full of winding river valleys and surf-battered cliffs just waiting to be explored.
For a place with such exciting landscapes, it’s no wonder that people flock here for adventures throughout the whole year round!
Growing Up in Wales
They say that ‘good things come in small packages’ and this is definitely the case for Wales. Growing up here, we got the best of both worlds, from exploring untouched valleys and sleepy villages to having Britain’s most sociable city on our doorstep. Naturally, this meant that we spent a lot of time outdoors soaking up the scenery and taking advantage of the awesome adventures that were on offer.
While living in Wales fuelled our love for adventure and exploration, it also gave us a strong sense of community and social values that remain at the core of everything we do.
The Kickstarter Campaign
Karibu was founded by four lads as a passion project fuelled by their love for travel and adventure.
Karibu was created to share our love for adventure travel with the aim of inspiring people to step out of their comfort (or time) zone and explore what the world has to offer! One of the ways we wanted to encourage this lifestyle was to create rugged and durable travel gear that would travel with you, withstand the harshest of conditions and ‘stand the test of time!’ This led to the design of the ultimate travel watch.
Karibu: THE Travel Watch
Made by travellers for travellers, the Karibu watch was created as an everyday watch, but one that can be worn on any occasion, from office to airport to the red carpet from the mountains! The vision is for the Karibu watch to be the number one go-to-watch for any type of adventure.
As well as being incredibly durable, the watch also boasts other specifications that make it perfect for adventure travel. The Karibu watch has:
- 316L Stainless Steel - an extra-low carbon content, which makes it extremely resistant to corrosion from seawater or acidic liquid.
- 10 ATM Water Resistance - this watch can withstand 10 times the pressure at sea level without allowing water in, which is the equivalent to being 100m underwater.
- Sapphire Crystal Glass - the second strongest jewel on the Mohs mineral hardness scale, second only to the diamond, which almost nothing other than diamond is able to scratch the face.
- Silicone Watch Band - Versatile, stylish and endlessly practical, The Karibu silicone watch strap is set to withstand the most gruelling of conditions
- Swiss Movement - The best in the world
Why do we want to do this?
The answer is simple. On one of our epic mystery trips, we noticed that none of us were wearing our everyday watch, especially when we’d head out for a day of water sports or hiking, only wearing them in the evening out to dinner. This led to the idea of there being a need for an all-in-one travel watch that would be suitable for anything and everything.
With this in mind, we are launching our very first Kickstarter Campaign in order to raise funding to make our vision and dream a reality. Travelling has changed us in so many unspeakable ways and inspired us to open our minds, that our passion is to get more people outdoors and exploring what the world has to offer to feel the same way.
Our main goals for Karibu are to:
- Create a travel brand that is around for many years
- Create jobs and a really close travel community
- Design travel gear that are invaluable to travellers
- Develop our brand by taking on the feedback from the kickstarter community
So what do you think? Do you want to help us break down the barriers of stand alone suave or sport watches to create the ultimate travel watch? If so, get in touch! We’d LOVE to hear what you think and your ideas for a watch that can follow you on any adventure.